Friday, October 01, 2004

Getting Old Gracefully??

I just celebrated my birthday 2 weeks ago...and something I noticed in myself is that I no longer feel great and excited on my birthdays any more!! I pondered over my state for a little while and a realization dawned upon me.

When I was young (wait a sec...never in my dreams I thought I would be saying that so soon......er..maybe I should correct it and say..'younger'..yup that feels good!) ..so when I was younger..birthday would be a special day...I would wait eagerly for the day to come, maybe a month in advance I would be bugging my mom and dad to take me out for shopping for a new dress. I would wake up very early on my birthday and would wear the new dress and distribute choclates/candies to friends and neighbours. It would be a day filled with all fun stuff with family and friends. It would be a 'perfect' day in every way.

You feel okay even you cross what they call the 'teen-age'..things are still rosy..you are all grown and matured now..and ready to taste life which remained an awe for you all these years. So really not bad at all!!!

In the next few years you meet your significant other and again celebrating birthdays become interesting and exciting. But really after some years this new-found joy gets faded off as all the "good things come to an end". And now the only thing "birthday" brings with it is the reality check that you are getting old and it becomes a day when you constantly think about your age!!! Really not a fun thing to do ;-)


Now I feel that there are two roads you can take when you get old..getting old grudgingly or getting old gracefully..Maybe it is time for me to practice the art of getting old gracefully and enjoy the journey of this phase in life which will make one more wiser and experienced in life itself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home